HISTORY OF THE JROTC AWARD
A JROTC Instructor from a Phoenix area High School asked why the
NCOA did not have an award for the JROTC program as many of the veterans’
organizations have. This resulted in three members, TSgt (R) Robert L. Bohach,
SSgt (R) William (Bill) A. Chambers, PGK, and CMSgt (R) Glenn E. Coy, of the
Roadrunner Chapter No. 153 in Glendale, AZ, creating a NCOA award for the
They received approval from the International Headquarters in 1986 to use the NCOA logo on a medal for the program. It took over a year to have the certificate designed, medal made, and bar ribbon and drape obtained. The spring of 1988 saw the first awards presented to JROTC cadets in Metro Phoenix High Schools at Unit Award Ceremonies by the Roadrunner Chapter.
After being informed that the Cadets could not wear the award on their uniforms because of Department of Defense regulations, the Chapter petitioned the Department of Defense to have the award approved as a National award so that it could be worn on the Cadets’ uniforms. This approval was received in September 1989.
The award has been presented annually to the Cadets in all JROTC Units in the State of Arizona by the Roadrunner Chapter #153 in Glendale and the Spanish Trail Chapter #118 in Tucson.
In 1994, the Roadrunner Chapter was designated as administrator of the NCOA JROTC Award Program by the International Headquarters and the supplier of all of the certificates, ribbons and medals used in the award program. Up until August 2010 volunteers from the Roadrunner Chapter administered the Award Program. In August 2010 the Roadrunner chapter disbanded and the program was transferred to the Central Valley California Chapter #1551.
The award program continues to grow and during the last school year approximately 1600 award packages were sent out to JROTC Units of all the Armed Services and NCOA Chapters worldwide. Members of NCOA Chapters and Auxiliaries and Non Commissioned Officers and Petty Officers from all branches of the Armed Services made the presentations.